The Bus and Coach Association (New Zealand) Inc, in conjunction with Vehicle Testing New Zealand, has developed a star grading system for coaches and buses which will make it easier for customers to compare the standards of service offered by individual bus and coach operators and will allow tour operators and travellers to select products in advance with confidence. Vehicles are rated according to criteria developed by the BCA, and vehicles are issued a star rating, from 2 to 5 which reflects the quality of their vehicle. There is no restriction on vehicle size in any grading category. However, you must be a Bus and Coach Association member to be eligible to have your vehicles Star Graded.
The Approved Destination Status (ADS) Code of Conduct, from 1 May 2008, requires that all buses and coaches used for ADS tours must have a Bus and Coach Association grading of 3 stars or higher. The system is based on an agreement signed in 1999 between the Governments of New Zealand and the People’s Republic of China to allow groups of Chinese nationals to travel as tourists to New Zealand
Why Choose Star Graded Coaches?
- Star Grading promotes customer oriented features in coaches.
- Grading allows customers to distinguish between different standards of vehicles.
- Customers can be sure they will get a coach with the features they want.
- Coaches are graded by Vehicle Testing NZ Ltd, an independent testing authority.
- Star Grading is endorsed by the NZ Tourism Board, Travel Agents Association NZ (TAANZ), Tourism Industry Aotearoa (TIA) and the Tourism Export Council (TEC)
- Star Grading allows BCA members to operate in the ADS market.